It is STYLISH to Share!

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Reflections by Paris

I don't mind sharing the literary prose of someone who is going to burst on the scene real soon! (trying to encourage her a little bit...). Welcome...Paris (not Hilton...I don't know her). She will share her words with us on a weekly basis. It will be hip, informative, with a touch of humor!

To debut, she is sharing "A Very Short Story". Enjoy!


"A Very Short Story"
All rights reserved for L. Paris Jenkins

Glancing at her voicemail light, she let out an exaggerated sigh, it was only 9:05am and she had several voicemails. It was a Monday, she contemplated checking the messages. Retrieving them would certainly mean she had to reach out to someone who had an issue with her client. Who wants to talk about problems first thing Monday morning? She decided to leave them until at least after 10:00am when her brain and attitude were in sync.

She opened the business e-mails she thought to be potentially important and the ones from her sensible friends. Some of her casual associates had too much damn time on their hands, chain letters, religious PowerPoint presentations, you know you’ re from the hood when…… She thought “give me a frigging break!”…those e-mails just got the delete button. By the time she got through reading all the important ones…you know from the client, management, the service delivery team and her gay friend Derrick it was 9:50am. Kyle, the cook closed the breakfast grill at ten. She figured if she wanted to get some grub she had better get a move on. She grabbed her wallet out of her purse and headed toward the cafeteria.

As she rounded the corner towards the west wing she thought about what she would order…she could hear his voice in her head “you gone be mad at yourself if you get fat…I’ll still love you...but you’ll be mad at yourself.” She decided on two scrambles eggs, a few strawberries, and some pineapple slices. She really wanted a scone, but they were all dough and tons of sugar. Not good for her on again off again gut. “I hope Kyle is in a good mood.” she thought. The bear of a cook could look very intimidating but he was a really sweet guy. When he was in the mood they would have personal conversations. He was the one who had her thinking about law school again. He was married to a lawyer.

As she passed the register she spoke to Debra the cashier, waved at Douglass the deli guy, and made her way to the grill. Kyle’s back was toward her, he appeared to be prepping for the lunch rush. She waited patiently. He felt her presence and tuned toward her. “Hi, two scrambled eggs?” he asked. “Yes, please.” she replied. As he started the eggs, she went to the fruit bar. She couldn’t tell his mood and she didn’t want to irritate him by staring at him while he prepared her food.

She packaged her fruit at the bar and checked the dates on the chocolate milk. All good, she’d take one.

When she returned to the grill her eggs were on the counter. She took an extra plate to cover her food and turned to walk away.

“How was your weekend?” Kyle asked.

“Not bad, my friend and some friends of his went to Atlantic City Friday night.” She replied.

“The dude from North?” Kyle interrogated

“Yeah” she smiled “How is that going?” He asked.

“Good, I don’t have many complaints. He just works like a dog, which cuts into our quality time- but what you gone do.” She shrugged her shoulders.

“Yeah well he got those kids and now you. I know you ain’t cheap. That brother better keep a job!” Kyle chuckled and shook his head.

“I don’t know why everyone thinks that. I am a simple girl. I like nice things. I work hard to take care of myself, but I am not superficial.” She argued.

“I am not saying that you are, but if he doesn’t there take care of his business, which now includes being able to carry you. They’re like ten dudes who would gladly carry you for a minimum return…so I am just saying dude better be working or have a plan or something.” Kyle shot back.

“I am going to try to stick it out with him…we connect, you know?”

“What does your family think of him?” Kyle asked.

“He hasn’t met them yet. With him working and all...plus I am not quite ready for that yet. You know all the questions and having to defend his worthiness and all that. His tats, his kids, his failed marriage. You know, they want what’s best for me and I don’t feel like explaining why I am with him. You feel me.”

“Yeah, but if they see what I see. They will be fine with him.” Kyle said.

“What do you mean?” she asked.

“Your face lights up when you talk about him. You’re in love with him.” Kyle laughed.

“Yeah, I am.” she smiled.

“I am.” She repeated as she walked away.