It is STYLISH to Share!

Monday, August 18, 2008

Showtime - Birthday Brings Back Memories

Hey Good People,

Last Friday, August 15th was my birthday. (You respond - "Happy Belated Birthday" and I say, "Thank You"). I got a number of text messages, voicemail messages and live phone calls from friends singing off key (I know they meant well - but they could have put it in a text!).

Anyway, I got a text from a friend that said, "It's Showtime....Happy Birthday." I bust out laughing when I read that.

I played basketball in high school - I was NICE! On a rare occasion the boys and the girls team was playing a double header. The gymnasium was packed. It was our high school version of a sold out concert at Madison Square Garden. We even had cheerleaders (well they were warming up to get ready for the guys - they would shout out a cheer every once in awhile for our game!). Well for some reason, I was on the money this day. We were playing some really tall and big amazon girls from I think it was Garden City. It was said we were the underdogs...the score did not say so! We were up by at least ten points.

Off of a missed shot, my cousin rebounded (there were five of us on the team..go figure) the ball and handed it off to the point guard. Our point had a wicked handled. I ran down the right wing - closest to the bench of the visiting team and set up for a three point shot. Got it - all net.

Same scenerio but this time the point guard went down the left wing and I trailed behind and set up at the top of the key. As a great point guard can do - she set me up for another three-point shot. "SICCCCKKK". Got it- the ball kissed the net. The crowd was going wild! My head was gassed up!

We were in sync - back to back assists for a three pointer. Three times is a charm! This time I ran down the left wing - to the corner set up for another three. The crowd is behind me screaming and cheering. My point guard dished of a nice pass as she barrelled into the paint. The next thing you know, the crowd yells, "It's Showtime", the shot left my hand "SICCCKKK". I turned around and said, "At the mother%*$&)@^ Apollo".

The crowd lost it. The gym was wild. The next thing you know I hear my Coach B called for a sub for "24". That was me. I wore number 24. I ran up to the coach and said in utter disbelief, "Coach, why are you subbing me? I am on fire." She responded in such a cool fashion, "Well drink some water and cool you a@@ down - you are about to start a ruckus in here."

The crowd booed the coach!

Everytime I hear "It's Showtime" - it brings back the crowd in my head!
(that is me in the picture - check out the form!)