It is STYLISH to Share!

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Great Read...The January Girl

Hey Good People!


Let me just get right down to it...have you read, The January Girl? It is such a great read. I was on vacation from work recently and I took a long overdue trip to the book store. I was in search of 'something', I did not know what I wanted to read but I was thirsty for a good book! I picked up Goldie Taylor's book, The January Girl because the title caught me and the description was intriguing. I am so delighted that I did. What a great read! I started to read it in the bookstore and before I knew it - 45 minutes had passed. I was so into the book!

When I finished the book, I felt I had to share it with you. But I took it one step further - I reached out to Goldie Taylor. Thought you might like to hear more from her because I surely did.
I know you will enjoy this book as much I did. Don't forget to share this with others!

Interview: Author Goldie Taylor - The January Girl
Where are you from?
I am originally from East St. Louis, Illinois, although I have lived in Atlanta for most of last 23 years.
Tell us your latest news – specifically about one of your books that will become a feature film?
In My Father’s House was optioned for film two years ago. The process has been slow and coming, but it’s on God’s time. Of that, I am sure. Meanwhile, I have completed a third manuscript, COME SUNDAY. I’m so very excited about the story, which is told from the perspective of a 19 year old heroin addict.

When and why did you begin writing?
I started writing out of anger more than anything else. Life wasn’t giving me what I thought I deserved, so I began writing my way out of that circumstance—literally. But the truth is, I’ve been an avid storyteller my entire life. I am a former journalist.

Who or what has influenced your writing?
They say the best fiction is non-fiction. The people and things that inhabit my life are my greatest source of influence. But more than that, I am influenced by the world as I think it should be. My works tends to be more about me righting (or writing) that world.

How has your environment/upbringing colored your writing?
My writing tends to carry a number of religious or spiritual themes. I suppose this has a lot to do with my life in our family church and also with my personal struggle to faith. For so many years, I was at war with God (if that’s even possible). My characters, as a result, also wrestle with a Higher Power or Truth.


What inspired you to write The January Girl?
The January Girl is as much about me as it is about my sister-friends. I wanted to write about imperfect love and put some of my own heartbreak on the table. Perfection lies in imperfection. So I took several very imperfect people and walked them on a journey together. Thandy (the lead character) is a close to me as any I have created.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
That love is the only perfect thing.

How much of the book is realistic?
More than I’d like to admit.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?
I plead the fifth. (Can you do that in an interview?)

What books have most influenced your life most?
Rick Bragg writes about his life and his family. We couldn’t be more different. (He’s white and I’m black, for starters). But there was so much authenticity. I thought, “now if I can get to that truth, I’d be in heaven.” The truth is the kind of writing, as Bragg will tell you, is painful. The books are Ava’s Man, All of But the Shouting, and The Prince of Frogtown.
If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
Eric Jerome Dickey and I are great friends. He has a home in Atlanta. When he’s in town (and neither of us is working) we get together for lunch. I could listen to him talk all day. I’ve learned more about this business from him than almost anyone.

Are there entities outside of your family that support your career?
I am a member of the Atlanta Writer’s Club and plan to attend a literary colony in late October. There was a time when I leaned on friends to help me edit, but that’s asking a lot. So instead, I’ve turned to professional development. My writing is my craft. My commitment to myself and my readers is to get better with every line.
What book are you reading now?
Slavery by Another Name by Douglas Blackmon (my former colleague at the Atlanta Journal Constitution). It deserves a Pulitzer Award.

Are you listening to any music that is inspiring you right now?
Not really, my music tastes are eclectic.

Did you learn anything from writing “The January Girl” and what was it?
To everything there is a season. I wish I were more like Thandy.

Can you share a little of your current work with us?
COME SUNDAY is about a 19 year old heroin addict who has been murdered. She tells her story from the other side of the grave. Who killed her? How did her mother grieve? What took her to that final moment?
This blog, I Don’t Mind Sharing, is all about sharing information about anything. Do you have a something you would like to share with the readers?
Want to write a book? Start by keeping a journal. Write every day. For me, I do three pages (long hand) every morning about the first thing that comes to mind. It’s an amazing release and a wonderful way to walk your path to Truth.